EVOLUTION® is a patent pending product that is the first of its kind to be a fully encapsulated isolating gasket. The thinner, 1/8” (3mm) design minimizes the difficulties often encountered while attempting to install thicker isolating gaskets. The total encapsulation allows the gasket to be hydro-tested and kept in the pipeline with virtually no loss in isolation properties.
This innovative gasket is coated using a GPT proprietary material designed specifically for the oil and gas industry that is extremely abrasion and impact resistant. The coating is also chemically resistant to attack from H₂S, steam, CO, CO₂, and other chemicals found in oil and gas pipelines.
EVOLUTION® has passed API 6FB fire testing in multiple sizes and pressure classes and has a considerable increase in operating temperature over GRE products. Furthermore, EVOLUTION® does not have the permeation issues or chemical attack that plagues GRE gaskets.
Under harsh conditions, gaskets made from GRE may be vulnerable to chemical attack, blowout, thermal attack, hydrolysis and emissions —all of which can have serious consequences. EVOLUTION® is different. Its revolutionary materials and design provides industry-leading resistance to leakage and flange corrosion, as well as unprecedented levels of fire safety.
Unlike GRE gaskets, which are prone to delamination, EVOLUTION® has no laminations and as a result can better withstand high-pressure environments.
Rated to 500°F (260°C)*, EVOLUTION® can also operate under high temperatures. Tested comprehensively for safety, the product has API 6FB, 3rd Edition Fire Test recognition.
* When used with Mica sleeves and washers
Patent Pending PCT/US2018/016011
Redefining the isolation gasket.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
316L Stainless Steel Core
- Only three millimeters (1/8 inch) thick
- Thinner profile helps make installation easier and more accurate
- High dielectric strength
- Eliminates expensive exotic cores due to the fully encapsulated coating
- Rated to 500°F (260°C)
*For higher temperature applications, please order MICA sleeves and MICA washers.
Inconel 718 C-Ring
- Fire safe - provides the added security of knowing that the gasket has passed the API 6FB, 3rd Edition Fire Test in multiple sizes/classes
- High pressure - extremely high pressure capability
PTFE ID Seal
- Resistant to typical oil and gas chemicals, in particular H₂S, CO, & CO₂
- Impermeable seal and encapsulated carrier eliminates the need to replace gaskets following hydro-testing
- Larger than the pipe bore so that under compression it matches the pipe bore
- Fire-safe flange insulation in conjunction with cathodic protection
- Insulation between dissimilar metals to prevent galvanic corrosion
- Wellhead isolation from inter-connected flow lines
- Valve connections
- Christmas Tree connections
- Pump connections
- Compressor connections
- Mating mismatched ring-joint to raised-face flanges (EVOLUTION® will seal in ring-joint, raised-face and flat face/slip-on flanges)
- Eliminate fluid trap corrosion between ring-joint (RTJ) flanges where high concentrations of CO2, H2S and other aggressive hydrocarbon media are present
- Eliminate turbulence and flow-induced erosion between ring-joint (RTJ) flanges.
- Full Face (Type E) Available
- To seal between flanges subjected to vibration/cavitation (i.e., compressor stations).
- For slip-on flanges and coated flanges, please contact GPT engineering
- Some smaller diameter sizes, EVOLUTION® may be supplied with C-ring only
Carrier: 316L stainless steel core
Color: Dark Tan
Fluid Services: Oil and Gas
Maximum Operating Temperature (°F/°C): 500°F/260°C**
Minimum Operating Temperature: (minus): -300°F/-184°C
Maximum Pressure Class: ASME 2,500#/API 5,000
“All component materials are rated for -300F or lower”
*Inert media exposure testing down to -277F
*Assembly functional testing down to -50C
Typical Physical Properties*
|Water Absorption (%):||0.03%||ASTM D570 / D229|
|Taber Abrasion:||56mg||Mass Loss|
|Taber Abrasion:||11.3||Taber Wear Index|
|Compression Test:||180 MPa||EN 13555 @ 260° C|
|Creep Relaxation:||1.0||EN 13555 @ 260° C|
|Leakage Test:||1.0x10^-7 mg/m/s||EN 13555 @ 40 bar Helium @ 135 Mpa gasket stress)|
|Hot Blowout Test:||No blowout||HOBT @ 260° C @ 62.3 bar|
|Dielectric Strength:||1100 Volts/ Mil||ASTM D149 (Short Time)|
|Tensile Strength Gasket:||70,000 psi||ASTM D638|
|Tensile Strength Dielectric Material:||24,000 psi|
|Salt Spray Test:||2000 hours - No Visible Effect||ASTM B117|
|Shell Leakage Test:||6.48x10^-12 PA-m^3/s/mm Tightness Class A||MESC SPE 85/300-3.3.2 @ ambient @ 81.9 MPa (gasket stress) @ 51 bar (test pressure)|
|Shell Leakage Test:||3.08x10^-8 PA-m^3/s/mm Tightness Class B||MESC SPE 85/300-3.3.2 @ 260°C @ 81.9 MPa (gasket stress) @ 42 bar (test pressure)|
|Shell Leakage Test:||<0.1 bar (pressure drop)||MESC SPE 85/300-3.3.2 @ 260°C @ 81.9 MPa (gasket stress) @ <0.1 bar (pressure drop)|
Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion (thickness tested .125”) X-axis / Y-axis: 10.0 / 13.0 (IPC-TM 650-2.4.24)
- Flammability Rating: Fire retardant
- Fire Testing: Passed per API 6FB
This is a general guide and should not be the sole means of selecting or rejecting this material.
* Higher classes available upon request
** Temperature rating when using Mica sleeves/washers
1 All isolation products are affected by exposure to heat and moisture where electrical isolation is concerned.
Please note that field values may vary from test values due to exposure to one or both of these environmental factors.
Coating Scratch Test
|EVOLUTION®||Fusion Bonded Epoxy||Xylan™|
|1400+ Passes before losing isolation||90 Passes before losing isolation||2 Passes before losing isolation|
* 400 X Magnification
TEST METHOD: SH706 Manual Scratch Hardness Tester - ISO 1518-1, tungsten carbide hemispherical stylus, 2000g of weight. Product is scratched until isolation is lost.
Test result data can be accessed through our Test Package Portal
*Please note that in order to access the Test Package Portal a login is required. Please Email email@example.com to obtain a login.
Greenhouse gas reductions and carbon capture are hot topics and sure to be a focus of attention for years to come. Traditional GRE gaskets are made of epoxy and glass fiber. Gases travel very easily along the glass fibers making tight emissions difficult for GRE isolation gaskets. EVOLUTION has dual seals on the inside diameter with no use of GRE. This stops media from permeating at the source. Where a typical G10 with stainless steel core isolation gasket might leak 3 cc of helium per hour, EVOLUTION’s leak rate is only 1 cc of helium every 10,000 years on average!
Due to the extreme tightness of EVOLUTION, EVOLUTION is a viable sealing solutions for the transportation of GHG's( Methane, Halogens & C02) hydrogen, and LNG applications.
ISOLATION KITTING OPTIONS
Seal Types: Proprietary Coated C-ring (Standard), PTFE pressure activated seal (Standard)
Sleeves: G11 (Standard), Mica
Washers: DH (Standard), Stainless Steel, Mica
Carrier Options: 316LSS (Standard)
Note: With Mica Sleeves and washers, the full kit is rated to 500F/260C.
With G11 sleeves and DH washers, the full kit is rated to 392F/200C.